Southern Rail’s continuing poor service has left many commuters facing endless delays and cancellations.
Fares have continued to rise despite falling standards of service. Steve is campaigning to have the franchise removed from the current operator, Govia Thameslink, and handed to a new operator that is directly accountable to passengers.
Here are the latest updates on Steve’s work for a better rail service for Croydon’s residents.
- Southern Rail in meltdown
- Two years of rail chaos – Southern’s fare rise must be scrapped
- Sack Southern – sign Croydon Labour’s petition
- Southern must use profits to compensate suffering passengers
- Steve confronts Southern bosses over failing train service
- Labour campaign saves Croydon North ticket offices
- Steve demands rethink on ticket office closures
- Tory ticket hikes costs Croydon commuters a fortune
- Steve takes Southern Rail complaints to the top
Steven Reed is Labour MP for Croydon North and Shadow Minister for Children and Families. In 2018 his private member’s bill on reducing violent mental health restraint became law. In June 2019 he launched Labour’s civil society strategy outlining radical plans to empower citizens and communities.
Steve chairs the Cooperative Councils Innovation Network, co-chairs the All-Party Parliamentary Group for London, was Leader of Lambeth Council 2006-12 where he led the council’s children’s services to become best-rated in the country and pioneered the public-health approach to tackling violent youth crime. He worked in publishing for 16 years and was an elected trade union branch secretary.